Inconvenient Truths the Anti-Zionists Don’t Want You to Know
PRIMER's president emeritus, Alan Stein, spoke on this topic at the University of Connecticut on October 10, 2106. Here are a handful of inconvenient truths. Click on one of the links below to read a longer list or to read the text of his remarks.
- Zionism is, at its essence, the national liberation movement of the Jewish people.
- Anti-Zionists deny the right of the Jewish people to our own nation.
- Denying that right to the Jewish people, while promoting it for others, is anti-Semitic.
- Until relatively recently, the people today calling themselves Palestinians were insisting they weren't Palestinian.
- The PLO has never removed the articles in its charter calling for the destruction of Israel.
PRIMER Featured in Connecticut Jewish Ledger
It has long been the opinion of many in the Jewish community that Israel has a PR problem. Especially during military conflicts like the current one, world media seem to portray Israel as the aggressor out to destroy the vulnerable Palestinians.
PRIMER: Israel advocacy in good times and bad
The keyboard is mightier than the media
The keyboard is mightier than the media
This storyline can leave American Jews feeling anxious and helpless, unable to take any action that feels effective in the face of such an enormous challenge.
But becoming an Israel advocate in the media is not as hard as some may think. Just ask Mark Fishman, president of PRIMER-Connecticut (Promoting Responsibility in Middle East Reporting). “All one must do is sit down at the computer and type a few words; the rest will flow,” he says.
ResourcesMany organizations have put together excellent resources that may be used to respond to the unfair attacks and biased reporting. PRIMER sees no need to duplicate these efforts. The following is a list of some of these excellent resources. This list will be slightly different each time it's viewed.
- The Daily Alert: The Daily Alert contains synopses of articles and links to the full versions. It's worth looking through their archives.
- PRIMER's own resource list: The PRIMER web site contains a general list of resources for activists. Most of the sites cited have additional very useful information.
- The IDF's YouTube Channel
- Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Palestinian Media Watch
- The Unabashed Zionist
- Make Diplomacy Work with Iran By Alan Stein — Analysis of the key provisions of the Iran treaty. (August 14, 2015)
- Israel and U.S. beacons of civilization By Alan Stein — Compares the situation in the currently disputed territories now and during the period from 1948-1967 when they were occupied by Jordan and Egypt. (February 21, 2015)
- Points to Consider About the Resumption of Negotiations By Alan Stein — The information about the announced resumption of final status negotiations has been confusing and ambiguous. (July 21, 2013)
- Consequences By Don Morris — A critical piece adding to the conversation about the deal between the "P5+1" and Iran. (November 26, 2013)
- Irresponsible Narratives and the Lives they Impact By Don Morris — People determine narratives around issues, people, situations and circumstances (July 15, 2013)
- Setting the Record Straight: Distortions of Commission and Omission By Alan Stein — The degree of misinformation and misunderstanding relating to the issues of the Arab-Israeli conflict is astounding. Patently false information is pervasive yet is often taken as common knowledge and falsely transmitted in conversations, over the Internet, in the traditional media and even by governments. (December 10, 2012)
- Dismissive Behavior-Perspective is Critical to Understanding Another's Point of View By Don Morris — It does the nation no good to berate and negate one another's positions. This human situation requires leadership that operates with an ability to listen and hear what the two parties say. (November 23, 2012)
- We are at War By Don Morris — The West can win this war, we have the truth on our side, and our societal values are as valued today as they were so many generations ago. The question becomes when will we find the resolve to take a stand and defend ourselves? Our enemy is counting on never! (June 10, 2012)
- Going to the well time and again pays off-why not keep going? By Don Morris — Don Morris examines Mahmoud Abbas' latest offer to pretend to negotiate if Israel first releases more terrorists, further arms his thugs and strangles the Jewish communities in the disputed territories. (June 9, 2012)
- Offensive Words and Policies Defined By Don Morris — Don Morris examines how groups which do not share the West's way of life or sense of toleration and humanity are using language to promote a destructive narrative. (November 8, 2011)
- Intentional misrepresentation of facts MSM? By Don Morris — Don Morris examines the apparently intentional misrepresentation of facts by the mainstream media, particularly regarding the terrorist kidnapping of Gilad Shalit. (October 18, 2011)
- Misplaced Assumptions By Don Morris — Don Morris examines misplaced assumptions on which President Barack Obama is apparently basing his Arab-Israeli Conflict policies. (May 21, 2011)
- Call it what it is: Absurdity beyond the pale By Don Morris — Following the brutal terrorist murder of five members of the Fogel family, including slashing the throat of a three-month old baby girl, the focus of United Nations special coordinator Robert Serry was not the terror, but the possibility that homes might be built for more Jews in the disputed territory. (March 13, 2011)
Contact Information for Connecticut Congressional DelegationPhone numbers, mailing addresses and links to the websites of everyone in Connecticut's Congressional delegation may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ecd/cwp/view.asp?a=1095&Q=441412&PM=1. Each of the websites contains a link which may be used to send an email.
Taking the OffensivePRIMER board member Don Morris, ז׳׳ל, recognized the increasing pressure Israel is facing to make more unreciprocated, counterproductive concessions and is making an effort to educate with a series of op-eds which may be read here and on the PRIMER blog.
These op-eds include the opinions of the writers and do not necessarily represent positions of PRIMER.
Prayer for the Israel Defense ForcesMay He who blessed our ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, bless the soldiers of the Israel Defense Forces and the security personnel who stand guard over Israel and the cities of our God, from the Lebanese border to the Egyptian wilderness, and from the Mediterranean Sea to the edges of the desert - or wherever they might be - on land, in the air, or at sea.
May God cause our enemies who attack us to suffer defeat at the hands of the troops. May the Holy One, blessed is He, shield and protect them from any adversity of anguish, any ordeal or suffering, and send blessing and success to everything they do. May He bring those who hate us under their sway, and glorify the forces with the crown of salvation and the mantle of victory, so that the verse, "The Lord, your God marches with you to do battle for you against your enemies and to save you," will be fulfilled through then, and let us say Amen.
Revealing Quote"The U.S. and Israel and other regional powers were generous enough to provide Fatah security with very good weapons, and now they are in our hands." — Hamas gunman.
Read Hamas Militants Train for Attack on Israel on Fox News for an article containing this quote.
Food For Thought"Israel is the only country whose very right to stay on the map is constantly questioned.
"The true reason is simple: Israel is a Jewish state. This is the reason it is loved by many, and this is the reason it is hated by so many as well. Democracy and human rights are just the popular ways to justify the hatred, since Western society seems to be sensitive to these two issues nowadays."
Posted to the Jewish Faculty Roundtable discussion list by George Kaminski (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Qumsiyeh's Inconvenient TruthPerhaps it was a bit of his conscience bothering him when he and a handful of other Anti-Israel fanatics protested a lecture at the Yale Initiative for the Interdisciplinary Study of Antisemitism (YIISA), but Mazin Qumsiyeh inadvertantly told the truth during his protest.
After human rights activist Alan Dershowitz stopped by for a few minutes before his lecture, Qumsiyeh addressed the half-dozen or so fanatics who were protesting with him and were the only ones, aside from the video photographer and the reporter shown in the video, who didn't leave with Dershowitz.
The video shows Qumsiyeh saying "he [apparently referring to some unmentioned critic] then claims that Dershowitz lies" before clearly defending the human rights activist by saying "I urge you to get Dershowitz' book and read it because [undecipherable] one of the best documented."
At that point, he gets distracted until one of his shills who had noticed Qumsiyeh had accidentally told the truth prompts him with the words "Finkelstein, Finkelstein." At that point, Qumsiyeh changes his tune and starts praising the screeds of Norman Finkelstein, the mediocre former DePaul University faculty member.
Media bias and misinformation frequently characterize what is reported about the state of Israel in the American press and around the world.
This practice, when left unchallenged, negatively molds public opinion, which steers public policy, and can adversely affect Israel's well being and continued existence.
PRIMER — Promoting Responsibility in Middle East Reporting — is dedicated to countering media bias and misinformation on a regional basis. PRIMER-Connecticut focuses on generating LETTERS TO THE EDITOR and periodically publishing TREND REPORTS in which PRIMER analyzes a newspaper's coverage of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
PRIMER also maintains a list of spokespersons able to speak knowledgeably to the media on matters relating to the Middle East.
Collectively, Regional Groups Can Make a Difference!Regional groups with as few as a half dozen active members can help promote the shared interests of America and Israel and can make a big difference. PRIMER-Connecticut anticipates the creation of a network of regional monotoring and response groups across the country and is eager to assist in establishing other regional groups for effectively Promoting Responsibility in Middle East Reporting.
PRIMER-Connecticut also generates op-eds promoting the pro-Israel viewpoint.
|The reality about civilian casualties generally ignored by the press.|